Friday, April 23, 2010

Grateful for a bad day?

We decided a while ago that it was time for a new car.  We picked a few out and listed Jason's 12 year old car on Craig's List.  That site is amazing because it sold in one day.  However... YIKES.  The car we found was in Houston three hours away. Since we would not be trading Jason's car in that meant Madison and I (9 months pregnant) would have to accompany him on the three hour drive to get the new car home.  I had the day planned out.  We would leave at 7 a.m., drive 3 hours, test drive, negotiate, have lunch, and be on the road home by 1 p.m. 

Well I should know that nothing goes as planned.  Long story short Madison and I spent the ENTIRE day either in the car (at times she was hanging out the window or sun roof), walking a car lot, or finding some grubby toy area at the car dealership.  (At one point she started licking a toy.  I did the worst thing possible and told her to "get that out of your mouth"... SO she started licking every toy while staring at me with a half-smile.  I was so tired I just ignored it.)

At one point Madison and I had been sitting in the car for an hour and a half while Jason was negotiating with the second dealer.  I called him from the car when on the fourth attempt he finally picked up with a not so sweet "yes??"  I said can you give me an ETA... like is it going to be five more minutes or five more hours?  His response.. "I don't know.. and hung up"  UGGG.. It was the latter. 

Anyway, we were finally on the road home a little after four p.m.  Madison fell asleep with a goldfish cracker in her hand before we exited the parking lot.  And yes.. we had a new car.  (Believe me we weren't leaving without a car!)  I am grateful.

So now the real challenge begins.  I have to drive this new big, big car.  Jason's last words to me this morning as I lay in bed half asleep... "Bye, don't hit anything, and don't let Madison fall out of the car."  Really honey?.. I'm glad he has so much faith in my skills. 

It took me an extra long time to get out of the house this morning.  I had to pack juice, snacks, and diapers as normal and load Madison into the car.  For some reason she had to take her bath baby, 2 loveys, and the blanket from her bed.. and I don't use "HAD TO" lightly.  Once I got all of these things loaded in the car I realized I could not find my paper drivers license.  I just got my TX license and I'm still waiting on the real thing to arrive.  Jason cleaned out my old car last night and handed me a huge wad and told me to go through it.  So I did what I always do when he tells me to go through something.. I walked over to the herby curby and chunked it.  Well guess what was a disgusting mess in the very bottom of the herby curby (aside from me after looking for it...) my license.  Lovely. 

I climbed back in the car and turned it on.  At that very moment Madison said.. with a gasp.. "ABBEY!!!"  WHAT??  I looked over and my beagle was on the front lawn.. WTH?!  She is not a front lawn kind of dog.  So I jumped out of the car and as soon as she saw me she took off running... and so did I.. (Have I mentioned I'm nine months pregnant?)  I had to go back to the house for treats, but I eventually caught her...

Okay.. NOW.. I get in the car and put it in reverse.  I half expect to see men in orange vests with flags to be waving me out of my driveway.. or at the very least hear a "BEEP BEEP BEEP" as I back up.  I'm a bit nervous.. but I manage to get out the driveway.  At first I felt like I needed a special license to be driving the car, but I think I'm getting the hang of it.  It did take me three attempts to park in a spot at Target, but I managed to do it without hitting anything or Madison falling out of the car.  HA!

Here are photos from our car buying day.. My brother was taking a class in Atlanta for work and wanted me to keep him entertained.  So I took these with my cell phone and sent them to him.

Screwing up the radio settings....

Playing with whatever she could find.  It took us 15 minutes to find the garage door opener wedged between the seats when we got home...

Hanging out the sunroof (I wasn't kidding)... I thought for a moment this might be inappropriate to other people, but only for a moment because a happy toddler = a happy mamma.

Notice she has her seatbelt on.. she's all in to what I do these days...

check out the yellow water in that toy fish bowl.... yummmm

This went to the DVD player we brought, but did not work.  Try explaining to a 2 year old after you show her Elmo for 10 seconds that you can't get it back on.  That was about 20 minutes worth of crying on the drive down.  She was pretending this was a phone and sticking it in my ear.  We had a great time!!  :)

post signature