Thursday, August 19, 2010

Poor Mama's Speedlight

I love my camera (Nikon D80).  I have really enjoyed getting to know it over the past few years.  I feel like I have come a long way and can take a decent picture outside in the natural light.  However, I struggle with inside photos.  They come out just plain old yucky.  I took a very small camera class (literally 3 hours) and gave the instructor my worst case scenario.  I'm inside (bad lighting), my infant is in his swing (movement), and he's sucking his thumb for the first time and I want a clear photo of the whole scene. Now how do I set my camera to get a good shot without using the flash?  Her answer... "No way.. you have to use your flash."  I seem to find myself in that type of situation a lot with my kids.

I noticed my friend, Jennifer, was getting great shots inside and it didn't seem to have that "flash" look.  She told me she was using a lightscoop.  I bought one that day.  It's a $30 gadget that fits on your camera and softens the flash. 

I took the first photo WITH the lightscoop and the second with just my flash. 


I can't believe I have not heard of this before!  It does take a second to set your camera up to use it, but obviously not too long because Tyler stayed happy on his tummy long enough for me to do it!
I wish I had known about this sooner!





Before you run off and buy one of your own.. I'm going to be doing a giveaway for one in the next few days!



post signature